Training is considered as the educational process that includes the sharpening of concepts, skills and changing of attitude and gaining more knowledge for enhancing the employees’ performance. Efficient and good training of employees helps in their knowledge and skills development that eventually helps the company to improve. Training and development are all about where you stand in the present and in the future in order to develop the skills. With the training, people can learn new methodology as well as information and refresh their current skills and knowledge. Because of this, it improves the performance of employees and the effectiveness of work. The primary aim of the training is to develop an effect that lasts lifetime and employees get upgraded information on the new phenomenon. Further, employee development is a process in which employer of the organisation provides support to its employees by conducting training and development programs. The programs of training and development help in increasing the retention and morale of the employees.
Methods of training and development
There are two types of methods for training and development such as On Job Methods and Off Job methods. Moreover, a particular method is used as per the needs and objectives of the training.
- On Job Methods
This method includes inexperienced and new employees who learn through observing other employees and try to imitate their behavior. Some of the commonly used On job methods are:
- Coaching: It is considered as one-to-one training. It helps the employees to identify their weak points throughout the training so they can improve it in the future.
- Mentoring: The primary focus of this training method is towards attitude development of individuals. This method is mainly used to guide managerial employees.
- Job rotation: It is a process in which the employees are trained through rotating the jobs. It helps an employee to become well acquainted with different jobs along with alleviating their boredom and allowing them to develop a rapport with different people.
2.Off Job Methods
In this method, trainees have to leave their workplace and completely concentrate on the objectives of the training. Following are some of the training methods:
- Lectures and special courses: These are considered as the famous training methods which are used by most of the organisations. The employees of an organisation are sponsored by their top management to attend the lectures or special courses.
- Seminars and conference: The participants are required to pull out their thoughts, recommendations, suggestions, viewpoints, and ideas. With attending seminars and conferences, trainees try to analyse the problems from different angles because the participants are usually from different sectors and fields.